Are Candles Really Bad For Your Health?

Share This Article
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email
Share on print

Seasonal candles are the best. It puts you right into the mood of what’s ahead – Christmas, Spring, Camping, Laundry – there’s a scent for everything! Candles are pretty much synonymous to relaxation. They’re great… but they’re also pretty detrimental to your health.

When the wick of a candle is lit, the wax around it melts, and the liquified wax seeps into the fibres of the wick to fuel for continued burning. As the candle burns, smoke, carbon dioxide, water, and other substances are released into the air. With anything that’s burned, there’s a decrease in the air quality around it.

Volatile organic compounds (VOC) and particulate matters released are the culprits to harming your health. VOCs can cause irritation and allergic reactions. On the more serious side, volatile organic compounds have been linked to damage to vital organs, including the liver, kidney and central nervous system. Particulate matter is sometimes so small that particles can get deep into your lungs and cause respiratory problems and even contribute to lung cancer.

Lastly, some candles use lead to be able to keep the wick upright. Lead is extremely harmful to us, especially for children because it’s known to cause developmental problems.

There are two solutions to this:

1) If you’re looking for that ambient glow and scent, there are a ton of diffusers that’ll do just the trick. Instead of burning, it releases vapour and essential oils scents.

2) If it’s hard for you to part ways with candles, opt for a beeswax – they burn ‘cleaner’ and release the least amount of pollutants. Ensure your space is well ventilated before and after burning your candle. You can also get an air purifier to help destroy the harmful pollutants and filter out the particles.

Self care is important, make sure your health is part of the equation!

Leave a Reply